Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Hospitalero at San Anton (Castrojeriz) May 2017

The Camino, the Way of St James, is never far from my thoughts. Over the years the lessons have unfolded and helped me become more authentically me. Today, on a rainy Spring day, I am looking through some papers and discovered my journals from my first Camino, the one detailed in this blog. I decided to provide an update which may be of interest to those who followed my walk in 2009. In 2016 I attended the annual Gathering of the American Pilgrims on Camino (APOC) and went through training to serve as an hospitalero.   I loved the training and the camaraderie the Gathering provides. In April 2017, I set out to serve at the rustic albergue at San Anton (Castrojeriz). I worked with a delightful companion to provide a safe, inviting, comfortable space for weary pilgrims. The albergue has only 12 beds, no WiFi, only cold water, no electricity and is a few kilometers from town. The pilgrims who elected to stay there helped prepare wonderful communal meals, shared songs around the fire, danced in the courtyard under the full moon, rose in the dark to a candlelight breakfast that included wonderful espresso. The hospitalero experience is among the best experiences I have had in my life. Pilgrims opened their hearts to me and shared their stories. I encourage you to consider giving back to the Camino by serving in this way. Contact APOC to find out how to get training and how to get posted. I will close now - I must care for my zen-hens now. Life is calling! - Ginn, Crazy Chicken Lady in SC   

t

No comments: