Saturday, September 26, 2009

Steep Hills & Facebook Links


I've reposted "The Word of the Day" from gratefulness.com (see below). I expect my fellow pilgrims will appreciate it. Read on:

Researchers studied 34 students at the University of Virginia, taking them to the base of a steep hill and fitting them with a weighted backpack. They were then asked to estimate the steepness of the hill. Some participants stood next to friends during the exercise, while others were alone. The students who stood with friends gave lower estimates of the steepness of the hill. And the longer the friends had known each other, the less steep the hill appeared.

Tara Parker-Pope
"What Are Friends For? A Longer Life" in the NY Times (April 20, 2009)

________________

Today I discovered a Facebook page for pilgrims who walked the Camino in May-June 2009. Search for this name: Camino de Santiago 2009 (Mai/Juni)

There are many Facebook pages filled with photos and observations by a variety of pilgrims.

I recently received a link from a pilgrim (from Poland I think) who walked last spring. He captured me in a few shots and kindly forwarded them to me. What a delightful surprise to open the link and see familiar faces and locations that conjure up meaningful memories. The gift was even more meaning ful when I realized he had posted THOUSANDS of photos. Imagine him taking time to e-mail individual photos to strangers he befriended along the long walk.

Isn't it wonderful how we can reach out and touch other pilgrims who have had similar experiences. We can also mentor those who wish to make the walk themselves. I am so grateful for the technologies that bring us all together as friends.
________________

2 comments:

Teri said...

The kindnesses emanating from the Camino must surely be making the world a better place. After two years, I haven't found it diminishing yet.

Catherine Todd said...

Can't wait to do the Camino myself, when I am physically strong enough. I eagerly await for the time I am able to be a true "pilgrim" and experience the love and kindness and sharing that seems to emanate from all who find this path. Thank you so much for posting this blog... if I can't be there in person, I can share this in spirit. Gracias pour todo!